- We do NOT sell or rent your personal information to third parties. However, in the event of a sale or transfer of this website, any information you have provided to us will be transferred to the new owner so that they can continue to provide you with access to this site and its related resources.
- We use third party website scripts, plugins, ad programs, and analytics data to add functionality to this site such as quizzes, contact forms, and so forth, which may collect some basic information from you each time you visit our site, as described on this page.
- Please do not submit, post, or store sensitive personal information on or through our website that could be potentially compromised or identified to you personally. Although we use a hosting company with strong security protocols in place, even the most secure website could become compromised. It is your responsibility to use “best practices” to keep your sensitive information safe and private. For example, for online use, create throwaway email accounts and have them forward emails to your main account. Refrain from using your full name, address, and other personal information unless absolutely necessary. Use pseudonyms or nicknames when posting articles online. Run a good antivirus program on your computer regularly, and use secure connections when accessing the internet.
Personal data we collect and why we collect it
If you leave a comment on our site, you may opt-in to saving your name, email address, and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Cookies are also used by advertising programs, affiliate programs, as well as the other tools or plugins described on this page below.
Google advertising cookies
- Google’s use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to your users based on their visit to your sites and/or other sites on the Internet.
The Google ad program allows third-party vendors or ad networks to serve ads on our site, and we have opted into all of the Certified Google Ad Networks through our Adsense dashboard. Please visit those links to learn more about Google’s advertising partners, their respective privacy policies, and how to opt out. Again, you can opt out of some third-party vendors’ uses of cookies for personalized advertising by visiting www.aboutads.info.
Amazon Affiliate Program
CholinergicUrticaria.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com. These links contain a special code that may be stored in the user’s browser, which notifies Amazon that the referral came from our website.
Any time you click an affiliate link on our site and make a purchase, you could potentially earn us an affiliate commission (at no extra cost to you), which helps support our site. Amazon.com does not disclose any personal information to us after this event (such as names or addresses of buyers), other than aggregated sales data such as daily sales and referral commissions we might have earned.
We do not rent, sell, lease, or share our Google Analytics data with third parties, and it would only be transferred in the event of a business/website sale or transfer.
We use the Jetpack WordPress plugin by Automattic to add functionality to our website, including the following:
- Social sharing buttons, which allow visitors to share content on their social media profiles.
- Email and comment notifications, which alert you when a new post or comment is posted. Anytime you post a comment or article, it will go out to people who have subscribed to this service.
- Basic analytics data, which reveal to us limited information such as visitors per day, keywords used, pages visited, links clicked, and more.
Email Post Notifications
We use Jetpack’s email and comment notification service, which you can sign up for by entering your information into the form on our website. If you write a comment or post an article to this site, others will receive a notification with an excerpt or full text of your content. If you’d like to unsubscribe from this, you may do so by following the instructions in the email itself for unsubscribing.
Log Files / Hosting Services
When visitors leave comments on the site, we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
In addition, by submitting a comment, you agree that we may use comments or messages in marketing promotions or to answer questions in videos or in articles.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Contact Forms and Quizzes
Our website utilizes a WordPress plugin that provides contact form and quiz functionality. The contact form will collect whatever information you provide when trying to contact us, such as your name, email address, message, etc. This information will be sent to our personal email address and stored in our database on our server, which is emptied regularly. Please do not enter sensitive information into our website, such as credit cards, social security number, personal address, or any other information that you would not want to be potentially compromised.
In addition, the contact form and quizzes automatically record information when viewed on a page (or submitted), such as IP address, date of submission, quiz scores, form views, form ID, data you selected or entered into the form or quiz, and time of submission (or form view). This information is stored in our server’s database only, and it is deleted at routine intervals (no longer than 6 months, often much sooner).
We do not sell or rent this data, and the only time we look at form meta data is when someone alerts us to a potential quiz error or other technical problem.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. YouTube videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
We do not sell or rent your data to third parties. Our sharing is only to provide content for free, record basic analytics data (which we may reveal in an aggregated form only, such as total website visitors), or to show advertisements, and is limited to the following:
- Google’s ad program uses the cookies to display ads, as described above. Because we post their ad code into our website, they will access some of your information via cookies. The third party Google certified ad networks will also have access to this information.
- Information is sent to Google Analytics software, as described above.
- Information is used by our plugins that stay stored on our server, such as Jetpack, contact forms, quizzes, and so forth.
- We pay for hosting services, and we have no control over software or information gathering that our hosting company may use.
- If you submit an article or post a comment, people who signed up for notifications will receive an alert.
- Feedburner’s service stores your email when you opt in, but you may unsubscribe at any time by following their instructions in the email itself.
- Amazon’s affiliate program reads cookies or special link URLs to track affiliate referrals.
- Sharing plugins through Jetpack allow you to share our content on our social media.
- In the event of legal issues, audits, or law enforcement requests, we may be forced to share data.
- In the event of nefarious activity, such as hacking or trying to harm our website or website visitors in any way, we may turn over information we have to the appropriate authorities.
- In the event of a technical problem, we may have to hire or consult technicians or web hosting support staff and provide them with temporary access to our databases and websites for the purposes of troubleshooting and repair.
How long we retain your data
- Data gathered and stored in our database through contact form submissions or quiz software are automatically deleted from our database no later than every 6 months, often much sooner as a part of routine maintenance (weekly or monthly).
- Emails sent to our email address from contact forms or direct messages are retained indefinitely if there is a need for future correspondence, though we might delete some irrelevant emails sooner or if the user requests deletion.
- Google Feedburner or Jetpack’s email/comment notification will store your email address indefinitely, unless you opt out of the free email notification service.
- Information gathered by Google Analytics is set to be purged every 26 months.
- If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely on pages on our website and/or database. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
- For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data, opting out, and data deletion requests
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Please note that we routinely delete metadata of articles submitted through our website, so we might not be able to identify articles or comments you submitted unless you used a name or nickname in it.
- To request data used from any of the third parties we use on our website (Google Adsense, Amazon.com, Jetpack Plugin, Google Analytics, etc) you’ll need to contact them directly.
- You can stop receiving free email notifications at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in the emails.
Data Deletion Requests:
- To delete your email address from the opt-in email notification, click “unsubscribe” from within the email.
- To delete your form submissions or quiz submissions, you can request that we purge our database sooner. However, we routinely purge all form and quiz submissions from the database and do not sell or share such information.
- To delete cookies, you can adjust or delete them in your browser, and then cease to use this website.
- To delete comments or other information you might have submitted to us, you can use the contact form to submit your request.
- To delete messages or comments left on social media sites, please log into your social media accounts and delete the information.
Where we send your data
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
- Email notification sign-ups are routed to Google’s Feedburner or Jetpack’s email notification service.
- Contact form submissions are routed to our email address and also stored on our database, along with quiz metadata.
- Articles and comments you post will be sent to viewers who opt in for these notifications.
- Sharing tools send information to your social media accounts.
- Using the “search our videos” search box will sent queries to YouTube’s search.
- Again, information is sent to the following: Google Analytics, Jetpack by Automattic, Google Adsense and their partners, Amazon Affiliate program, and the other services mentioned on this page.